| Our Rwandan "therapy room" |
In Faith's basement we've set up a "therapy room" for the clients coming. Today we saw two students with Autism. One was non-verbal, just screaming and hitting us a lot. While Kelly worked with the child, Tara sat with the mom and explained what we were doing and why it was important. The mom seemed very uninterested the whole time. At the end we explained we would sent a report with all our suggestions. Her response? "No no, I'll bring him back next week and you finish teaching him how to talk"... ?!?!? Faith says this is a common Rwandan point of view -- I feed and cloth my child, and I pay other people to do everything else. The second family was much more receptive, taking notes and asking great questions. We introduced the little boy to "Angry Birds" on the TouchPad, he laughed SO hard. It was so much fun!
- Tara and Kelly
Wow, so sad that the first client and family had such a hard time. Awesome about the 2nd family though. I just can't imagine not having access to help.
ReplyDelete